Friday, November 6, 2009

In and (I'm) Out

Dear chemo side effects:

Please go away.

Sincerely,

Christina


The lethargy has set in amongst other side effects.  I still can't tell you what my results of my 90 day tests are because I was not able to see my doctor yesterday and we discovered they didn't even run the damn test two weeks ago. I was feeling bad the past couple of weeks, Sickle Cell bad, and believed I was not cured. If you remember an earlier post in which I explained hematocrit and hemoglobin numbers, with mine running low due to having Sickle Cell disease, I am using those numbers to determine my fate. The hematocrit and hemoglobin are running normal, as in for 'a person who does not produce Sickle Cells normal' so this is the only news I need. Well, not the only news, but I think it is significant. Here I stand, 113 days post-transplant, and I'm still producing healthy red blood cells. Old me hematocrit was 8, new me hematocrit is 13. Old me hemoglobin was 22, new me hemoglobin is 38. You connect the dots.

Now, I'm hoping to consult with Dr. Brodsky next week to determine if I can still go to London or if I have to postpone my acceptance for a year. I received my official letter of unconditional acceptance to Central's to apply for my visa to the U.K. I held it above my head and prayed to the Gods while doing a native dance. Filling out that application is interesting; they asked me everything but my hip size.  I also sent in my housing request.

I wanted to share something I learned about myself this week. First I need you to watch this :48 second video.



My sister has always been a fan of Vernon Jordan, and he frequently speaks at Howard University chapel, my mothers alma mater that she dials into on the radio most Sundays.  Even further into this interview he talks about leaving the Urban League to go underground to practice law then coming back into existence for the Clinton Administration. "I sort of like the in and out process" is what he said with a sly look.

It's now my time to go underground or 'out' for a while and 'go for it' as Vernon's mom encouraged him to do. If you know me personally, I'm just a phone call or train ride away.   If you want to know my progress (or fingers crossed) my new zip code and when to book your flight. Now, because you can visit, I no longer need to maintain this blog and I will focus further on the documentary. I thank you for reading, understanding and praying for me during this entire process.

Peace and blessings, kisses and hugs,

Christina Madry

No comments:

Post a Comment