Saturday, August 8, 2009

Great News

I started documenting the process on video camera. A little late but what I haven't documented, I have pictures of. Please look back on my Day 0 entry for images on transplant day.

It's interesting recording the process. My hope is to create a documentary and bring awareness to the community afflicted with Sickle Cell Anemia. I went into this process mostly blind although I felt I researched the subject well. You really have no idea what you're walking into and to physically see it might help. It might hurt as well but the objective is to keep those interested in joining this transplant trial informed. So friends don't be shy when you see me coming with the camera. Know it's for a great cause.

I also believe a good support system is vital to making it through this. I think of my recent progress and credit it to the positive energy that is constantly coming at me. That and watermelon. I am absolutely in love with watermelon. It has helped me through the nausea and helped me get rid of that awful chemo taste. Sweet sweet watermelon, I will never forget how I regained my sense of taste, even after my experience in Europe a few months back, in the summer of 2009.

My white blood cell counts have drastically improved. They went from 520 on Monday (remember a safe level being between 4500-11,500) to 12,500 yesterday, back down to 6,500 today. The reason for the drastic changes? Initially the BMT process drops your white blood cell counts, white blood cells being what protect you from infection, hence the need for my anti-viral and anti-biotic medication. They started me on a white blood cell growth factor shot (quite painful) which I took subcutaneously (shot in back of arm, stomach or thighs) for 2 weeks. Suddenly when my white blood cell counts jump, I discontinued the shot. Now I am waiting for my natural immune system to take over and level off the number. I no longer have to wear the 3M mask but I do still have to wear a mask and stay isolated so as not to subject myself to lots of germs. The difference being quite substantial.

Overall this week I've made a lot of progress but I still have an issue with simple things like writing and other trivial tasks, something I expect should be resolved once I gain my strength back. I'm holding steady at 118, down 12 lbs., so I don't expect to be myself anytime soon.

More great news: I got accepted to Central Saint Martin's college of Art & Design in London, the Harvard of Fashion Schools with such alum as John Galliano, Zac Posen, Hussein Chalayan, Stella McCartney, M.I.A., Alexander McQueen, Phoebe Philo and now...Christina Madry? I worked so hard this year to get accepted into their masters of arts program and couldn't be happier. The program starts in January so I have a goal of being cured and somewhat back to my healthy self by December. This year definitely represents change for me and I am so excited about what the future will bring in 2010. (Hopefully lots of my Paris, New York and Maryland peeps visiting me in Londontown. :0)




Thank you for reading.

Peace and blessings,

Christina Madry

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to London. Now I will have someone to show me around! Keep your head up.

    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Tina! You will need to import plenty of watermelon to London to make up for the poor excuse for food in the Queen's land :)

    ReplyDelete