Two weeks ago my life was an uphill battle but little did I know I was about to climb a mountain. Last week was even more tasking. I had a setback with my fertility treatments. My time to start the drugs came unexpectedly early. On the second day of my cycle, I was to shoot medicine into my stomach every night for 6 nights, the drug HCG into my stomach on the 7th night and exactly 36 hours later the doctor would retrieve my eggs. The drugs were not covered by my insurance and they cost $900. I missed retrieving my eggs this month because I simply could not pay that much for the medicine. The tax man took everything but the kitchen sink from me on April 15 and I did not have it to spare. Thank goodness for friends who listen and prayer or I would have been ready to walk away from the whole process.
Surprisingly, mid-week things turned around for the better. My doctor said they could donate most of my meds. They added that the company that manufactures the medicine has a compassionate care program to donate some as well. All this hopefully means I will be able to retrieve some eggs next month and proceed with the transplant after. Additionally, the bone marrow transplant at Hopkin's was approved yesterday. The Medical Director will present the procedure to my insurance and they will begin pre-testing shortly after that is approved. I also completed my plan for 24/7 care. Fortunately in Maryland I have some of the most giving people as friends and they have volunteered to help me on Tuesday, the only day I couldn't find care. Now Hopkin's is waiting for me to complete my fertility treatments. I'm thinking I am officially set to begin on or around early June.
I take all this to mean I am on my way. I recently read someone say that winning is great, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday. After the last month I've had, I foresee a championship in my midst. (Oh and I found my digital camera but still crossing my fingers for my wallet.)
Peace and blessings,
C. Madry
No comments:
Post a Comment