Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bday

Today I gave birth to 14 (count em 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13..) yes 14 eggs! The staff at Hopkins said I set some sort of record. I was receiving high fives and smiles all morning. Again, that is such a relief because I was only able to do the retrieval process once. The average woman would only have provided 6 per retrieval so to hear the number 14 is a blessing to me. I consider it an early birthday gift to myself from the universe.

I was also concerned because as I began signing my consents, I read that if you store and freeze unfertilized eggs, your chances of crreating an embryo later is only 2-4%. However, if you store and freeze fertilized oocytes (embryo) your chances increase to 30-40%. I did ask a donor to help with fertilization of my oocytes, but sadly I was turned down. I respected the individuals decision not to help me and prayed for another option (without having to ask someone else or go to a sperm bank). Today I read that the more eggs you retrieve that are over 18 mm increase your chances of conception. For every 10 eggs saved your chances increase to 30-40%. Therein lies the lesson: When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us. When faced with rejection, regroup and move on. You never know which blessing you might miss.

In other news, I shaved my hair. Yes, I am officially natural again. It's actually liberating, especially in the summertime. Women of color are such slaves to the upkeep of their (non-natural straightened) hair. I think of it as another birthday gift to myself. I'm thinking my friends and I will have a wig party to celebrate. Knowing my friends here in Maryland, and how much fun they can be, this idea might come to light. I'll keep you posted.

Summer has finally arrived! The month of Cancer is here and I hear good times are anticipated in the coming weeks. Until tomorrow...

Thank you for reading.

Peace and blessings,

Christina Madry

No comments:

Post a Comment