Wednesday, June 17, 2009

You Only Give Once

I am in week 2 of Operation "save my eggs". So far no unexpected bouts of crying or being overemotional. In fact, since I've begun my treatments, I feel that maybe I needed a little assistance in the estrogen department all along. I feel as though I have a brighter outlook on life, have more discipline with my diet and I am thinking more clearly.

So what does my fertility regimen entail you ask? The first day I received a sonogram to determine how many eggs were good. My diagnosis: my right ovary is a little slow and my left ovary would be better. I felt bad for my right ovary, like the kid who doesn't get picked for kickball because one leg is shorter than the other. After the nurse explained that each month the ovary production switches sides and there's no need to worry, I came home ready to start my treatments.

For three days, I injected Follistim, a follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), into my stomach. Actually my mother and sister did, I would pass out if I had to do this myself. On the fourth day I went into the doctors office for another sonogram and wow, there was a noticeable difference.

The goal in this process is to get the follicles surrounding my eggs to 18mm and retrieve them for storage. By the fourth day I was at 10 mm and one egg, the one I would probably have ovulated this month, was at approximately 12mm. There were so many visible eggs I felt like a proud mama. There were approximately 10-12 that were visible in my left ovary and 7-9 in my right ovary. Redemption! Since time is of the essence and I am unable to give twice as we originally anticipated, this is very good news. If I am able to store 15 eggs this month, that will make my year!

Because my estrogen was a at a level deemed "perfect", they decreased the amount of FSH and told me I had to add Ganirelix to my regimen at night. Yes, another subcutaneous injection -- oh what fun. Ganirelix is important because it will control my ovulation. I am to return to the doctors office again on Friday to determine how close we are to retrieval.

Additionally, I have contacted Discovery Health in order to have them document this experience. I just got a call from a producer today so wish me luck in this endeavor. I will return next week with my progress.

Thank you for reading.

Peace and blessings,

Christina Madry

No comments:

Post a Comment