Thursday, June 11, 2009

Home

I am back! The last two weeks have been absolutely brilliant. Some moments were a little stressful but overall I had the most amazing experience. My host family and friends in Europe were there for me in ways that I am eternally grateful. While in Europe, I rediscovered my senses. I saw the Mediterranean Sea in Spain, smelled the aroma of fresh baked bread in Amsterdam, touched glasses with friends at dinner in celebration of life, heard "Beggin" during an evening of celebration in Spain and couldn't stop my feet from moving. Of course my favorite sense -- taste, allowed me to savor the buttery soft croissants of Paris.

But now my holidays are over and for the next 6-9 months, I am fully committed to the Bone Marrow Transplant.

My official schedule has been planned, no turning back now. We will move forward as outlined below:

Week of 6/22: Pre-testing
7/13: Consents
7/14: Line placement (Catheter)
7/15: Begin chemo (9 days)
7/24: BMT

I will also have additional appointments with radiation oncology and possibly with Dr. Brodsky.

Today I began my fertility treatments. They are approximately 2 weeks and I begin with injecting Follistim, a follicle stimulating hormone, into my stomach at night. The doctors will keep an eye on my better eggs, and when the time is right, retrieve them and store them. As you can see from the schedule above, I will begin the BMT process almost immediately following the completion of my fertility treatments. Beginning June 22, I will make an effort to blog daily. It is exactly one week before my birthday and although the number isn't too special, I have a feeling it will be one of my most memorable.

Thank you for reading.

Peace and blessings,

Christina Madry

No comments:

Post a Comment