Wake-up, Ugh! Feeling like Garfield, wanting to stay in bed all day. We went to Tapas Teatro last night and had way too much fun. It started off with Ira, Amy (my friend and caregiver on Tuesday) and Walla (my favorite Sudanese Arab now U.S. citizen from New York) for dinner and Sangria. Who needs to watch the B.E.T. awards on such a beautiful evening? Suddenly people starting appearing from the streets like the Beat it video: Bobby, Aaron, Carlos then two of Amy's friends. Wow, the whole crew came out minus my bestest Kareema. Sangria, tapas and good friends -- good times. But we didn't get in until 1:30 am so today is going to be difficult for everyone.
7:30 am
Drop Walla off at the train station, her MBA Charter School Marketing internship awaits her. I'm off to Hopkins and Ira's off to teach her college bound students the principles of Theatre.
9:00 am
I'm meeting with Dr. Wharam, a radiation oncologist for a consultation. Boring. He basically says after my chemotherapy, something he is unfamiliar and disconnected to (at least in regards to his role in things) I will receive 200 rad in radiation. Two-hundred is not a lot of rad. Not enough to make you infertile or lose your hair. For example, a man with testicular cancer would receive approximately 1200 rad, 6x's the amount I am to receive. Or someone with a more aggressive form of cancer would receive 5000 rad over a 4-5 week span at 180 rad a day. I will only receive 200 rad the day before the BMT. What's the point then? My sentiments exactly and I don't think I was given a finite answer. Basically it's been part of the protocol and they've been slowly decreasing the amount of rad as they are finding it's not significant in destroying the patients bone marrow or in improving the process of the new donor marrow to graft.
2:00 pm
I have a complete physical exam and discussion of my medical history with the nurse practitioner, Amy. Tonsillectomy October 1995 and Gall bladder removed June 2006. Need anything else? Call my people. I'm out of here, it's my birthday!
Thank you for all the birthday wishes! My cup runneth over. It was truly a great day and I felt the love. Note to self, address and answer Roberta and Donnie in my prayers tonight: On June 29 the love was with me. Who's got next?
I hope you enjoyed the very special day of June 29th. Thank you for reading.
Peace and blessings,
Christina
R.I.P. MJ



No comments:
Post a Comment