Saturday, July 18, 2009

Day -9 to -6 ATG: complete

I started ATG on Wednesday. It was bad. Real Bad. Michael Jackson.

The purpose of this blog is to take my family and friends through this experience but I'm not so sure you should endure everything with me. Diana Ross was always known for saying you have to talk about things -- get it out there. John Mayer with say what you need to say, but somehow it will not feel therapeutic for me to talk about this. ATG is one of those things you want to forget about and move onto a better part of your life -- quickly.

So what was this past week like? I had my Hickman catheter placed on Tuesday. It's a fairly simple procedure and the purpose of the Hickman is that it provides and "in" for the IV meds and chemotherapy drugs while providing an "out" for blood and other blood culture tests the medical staff needs to perform without poking you with a needle everytime. I have the "Power Hickman" which means I could go as far as having that colored material placed into the Hickman for various CAT scan tests. The following images were taken hours after my catheter was placed:



There is a line connected to my vein that runs under my skin. It is stitched to hold it into place (marked by the bandaid), while the other end is shown coming out of my skin with two lines extending from it. That's where all the magic happens.

The next day, Wednesday July 15, I began receiving ATG intravenously. The side effects I received from ATG, included, but were not limited to, chills, fever, high blood pressure, nausea, vomitting and exhaustion. I also went into a Sickle Cell Crisis, afterall, what would this disease be without leaving kicking and screaming. For that reason, I was admitted into the hospital. Too bad for the disease because I'm getting the last word in this time. So since Wednesday, I've been medicating for joint pain, living in the hospital and coping with any side effects of the ATG.

Saturday, I began Cytoxan and Fludarabine. This is what me and my catheter receiving chemo and a pint of blood (transfusion for the loss of red blood cells due to Sickle Cell crisis) looks like:




Yes it's that simple. The Fludarabine took about 30 minutes and the Cytoxan was approximately 60 minutes to funnel through the catheter. I will also receive my brother's marrow through the same facilities. Another interesting fact I forgot to mention: my bladder, and it's contents, are considered lethal. I must be very careful and ensure I drink plenty of fluids and that I wash pre- and post- bathroom trips.

The doctors say I have been through the worse part of it all with the medication ATG. I doubt that much is true, but they are making me feel better. The past three days have not been a walk in the park but I am ready for this, with the occassional emotional breakdown allowed. Again, I pray you are enjoying your summer and I'll see you on the other side of this..this...monumental occassion! I am beginning to feel quite tired, either from the joint pain medication, or from the chemoterapy. Either way my body is calling me to rest and I must listen.

Thank you for reading.

Peace and Blessings,

Christina Madry

No comments:

Post a Comment